Minutes from the September 10, 2006 meeting held at the Griffin's in Douglas, MA.
Members Present: Pete Dolan, Dottie Duclos, Gull Reidy, Brenda Dean, Sheila Dolan, Joe Stoddart, Mary Ann Stoddart, George Griffin, Sue Winters, Cindy King, John C. Yarmac III, Pauli Haggis, Bill Haggis, William Pechka-King
The meeting was called to order at 12:20 by Vice President Pete Dolan with introductions.
Secretarys Report Gull Reidy
- Minutes from the July 9, 2006 meeting at Silver City Training Center were accepted as printed in the New England Aussie Newsletter.
Treasurers Report Dottie Duclos
- · ASCNE Treasury - $16566.68 including Rescue Treasury of $2,740.54
- · 2007 Nationals Account - $8845.25 (that's about 5-10% of what we need for the Nationals)
- · Moose-a-Mania 7/28-30/06 Gross receipts $3913.00, expenses $4643.00, for a loss of $730.00. (Notes: ASCNE's portion of the grounds fee ($500) was covered by a donation from Clara and Dennis, and the trophies were all donated. There was discussion as to how and why this happened (expenses are very high, one judge didn't show, attendance was low) and how to keep it from happening again (moving show - but the reason it's where it is is to give the people from northern New England a chance at a local show, upfront budget, not doing in 2007 because of hosting Nationals). Donations totaling $132.93 were collected and sent to ASHGI.
- · August Stock Trial 8/12-13/06 - Gross receipts $2340.00, expenses $2399.91, loss of $59.91 (Note: we paid airfare for a judge that cancelled, we will either be reimbursed or he will judge for us in 2007)
- · C.A. Sharp Seminar 8/20/06 - Gross receipts $1690.00, expenses $1507.46, profit of $182.54. Many people made donations after the seminar.
- · Harvest Moon Mania 10/13-15/06 - to date we have put out for expenses $47840.39 (we have already paid for judges airfares and the tents were rented on Mass. "tax free" day)
Affiliate Report Sheila Dolan
- · Sheila concentrated on the motions that passed and she had copies of the June, July and August reports if anyone wanted to look at them.
- · Capital expenditures - approved the purchase of office equipment
- · Program changes - Stock dog committee is working on a Farm dog committee
- · Juniors - eligibility for novice classes has been extended
- · Obedience - new non-regular class, Wildcard, handler can speak to and encourage dog but can not double command and has the option of dropping one exercise. It's a non-regular class so if offered a club can not limit entries, but entries have been very low recently so limiting probably would not be an issue for us.
- · Agility - changing teetor construction
- · Conformation - discussed at length in this month's report some changes made about eligibility of dogs being shown under co-owners, relatives, etc. Discussion of computation of points. Confirmation as well as Obedience can file an extension request.
- · Obedience - deaf dogs can now compete.
BoD Report Linda Gray and/or Chris Davenport
- Representative not present
- Pete threw out an editorial comment that a lot of interesting stuff was going on, part of it is some feel ASCA is in financial trouble, others say it's fine.
- Agility Dianne McCormick - Representative not present, Three more judges have been certified
- Conformation Peter Kontos - representative not present, Point schedule - no one seems to know what the formula is. Two judges will be used for the Invitational, not three as previously.
- DNA & Genetics - representative not present
- Juniors Cindy King - Novice junior showmanship handlers can stay in for 60 days to give them more time to learn (this was brought about because so many clubs are holding 4 trials on a weekend and the juniors were moving up without having any real time to learn). They can move up if they want to but don't have to. It is now 6 wins instead of 3. There will be a junior educational seminar at the Nationals. When juniors were asked what they wanted to see change, most commented they wanted to see more questions from the judges.
- Obedience Mary Ann Stoddart The committee is debating the wording of the rules. Deaf dogs are now able to be entered. There was talk of changing the order of classes for both A and B Open and Utility, only Open and Utility B will change. There has been a rumor that clubs may once again start having non-regular classes even if having pre-entries. There is nothing new on Rally
- Stockdog William Pechka-King - There is a motion about FEO. A Farm Trial committee has been started.
- Tracking Celeste Kelly, Linda Gray, Sue Schroeder - representative not present
- Versatility -- representative not present
Library Report Cindy King
- Library was on hand for anyone interested.
Sunshine Report Jean Janotta
- Luckily nothing new to report, although Mary Ann Stoddard was obviously doing better as she was able to attend the meeting.
- October Tracking - Oct 8 - Prouty Farm - Plotting on Saturday October 7
- HMM - The stock dog trial filled the first day, they are bringing in a third judge. Jean is wrestling with a second judge for agility. There are not enough entries for two rings, but more than one ring.
- November Cranberry Classic - There is a detour to Canine Mastery, ammended directions are on the website.
- 2007 Rescue Show - This show will be combined with the Winter Warm Up / February show. There will be 4 conformation shows and one obedience. Possible new dispersement of funds would be: the Chinese Auction would continue to go to rescue, part of the profits would go to research as well as rescue.
The following were accepted as new members: Dawn K. Kirby, Michael & Ellen Kurdzo, Arthur & Carol Landry, Paddy Marcotte, Richard & Andrea Couse, Melissa & Suzanne Zilembo, Barbara Laborde, Kaylene Scotton (Junior member)
2006 ASCA Election Results
§ Patrick MacRoberts 682
§ Kristin McNamara 591
§ Roger Stevens578
§ Lynn Fremuth489
§ Rick Gann489
§ Jan Wesen444
§ Rachel Vest 389
§ Cindy King 302
§ Peter Kontos 295
Hardship Registry referendum
§ Open 844
§ Close 681
Working Description referendum:
§ #3. As an Appendix of the ASCA Stock Dog Rules and Regulations - 922
§ #2. As an Appendix of the ASCA Stock Dog Trialing Guidelines - 859
§ #1. The back of the Individual Dog Registration Application Form - 677
§ #4. On ASCA Stock Dog Score Sheets - 462
§ N. None of the above - 429
§ #5. Other - 164
- September 29 October 6, 2007 ASCA Golden Jubilee Nationals Augusta, NJ
- November 4, 2006 - Meeting will be at Dr. Matt Mason's in Salisbury, NH
2007 ASCA Nationals Pete Dolan
There was a meeting of the chairs the day before at Tenley Dexter's. As of this date we are one year and 2 weeks away from the Nationals. We missed the deadline for the first rough draft of the premium. The consensus among the chairs is that it's time to speed things up. All but one of the 29 key positions have been filled. The individual chairs have been carrying things on their own so far. If you have an area you want to help in, then contact the chair and volunteer. Trying to get a meeting at Harvest Moon, possible 7:30pm on Friday. After this year's Nationals, Pete will put out a report of where we are and where we have to go. The rough budget is put together. The cost of stock (including feed) may run around $36,000 instead of the original projected $55,000. The budget for ribbons and trophies are being standardized across the board. We are not looking for a huge profit, but hopefully will have at least a small profit. Looking for fund raising ideas. The only seminar scheduled for now is a canine physical fitness chiropractor. Send any suggestions to Pete. Tuesday pm will be reminiscing about 50 years of ASCA with Ernie Hartnagle. The grounds will be available for set-up on Wednesday, open for competitors at noon on Friday.
AKC Conflict of Interest Policy
This continues to be an issue. Club members are coming up with creative ways around the problem. It was thought ASCA could do more to educate our own judges.
Membership Applications Kathie Chouinard
Jessica Maddore (Junior)
Sponsors: Kathy Hubbard and Robin Gardell
ASCA # Pending
Ashley Tenesicy (Junior)
Sponsors: Kathy Hubbard and Robin Gardell
ASCA # Pending
Sponsors: Donna Hakala and Kathleen Buckley
Sponsors: Linda Gray and Cindy King
ASCA # 112846
ASCNE Newsletter Editor Jean Janotta
- We are looking for a volunteer to be newsletter editor. Anyone interested please contact Jean.
Agility Fencing Jean Janotta
- The club has been getting more and more inquiries about the agility rings being fenced or flagged. We currently flag only. Jean proposed we buy some orange snow fencing. The fencing is $25 for 100 feet, so it would initially be a total of $100, plus we would need to replace periodically for gating, etc. There was a motion and approval to buy the fencing.
Achievements Jean Janotta
- Jessica Plourde and Deuce (a.k.a. AKC/ASCA CH Vinelake Collinswood Yablon NA NAJ)
- Best In Show on 19AUG06 at the Tioga County Kennel Club Show in Owego, New York defeating 853 dogs
- BIS on 26AUG06 in Springfield Ma
- JoAnn Griffin will be speaking before the HSUS, MSPCA co=hosted by SMART this Friday in Boston. The topic is Stress Management in Disasters including Team, Group dynamics and how to cope with same in a disaster. She has a CD that she's made with a positive, upbeat flavor, and would like to show it at some meeting coming up.
- Pete and Sheila Dolan went west this summer and had a very good showing - at Moe's C Hangin 5 ranch Dewey was WD Altered 4 out of 5 shows and Nix got RWD the first 3 shows. At an AKC agility trial Dewey got his AX and Ohlee got her AXJ.
A motion was made and approved to disallow the Nationals and pre-shows for ASCNE ROM points. Not everyone can attend the Nationals and it seems fair to use only affiliate level shows.
Sheila Dolan proposed changing the requirements for ASCNE's Performance ROM to not include Conformation. A motion was made and approved (with one disapprove) to keep it as is, which is any 3 of the five events.
Brenda Dean and Dottie Duclos would like to see a jug at the entry booth and food venue for epilepsy research donations.
Meeting adjourned at 1:55pm.
The next meeting will be November 5 at Dr. Matt Mason's in Salisbury, NH.
ASCNE 2006 Calendar of Events
- January 8 Meeting at Canine Mastery, Seekonk, MA
- February 4 & 5 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Sue Winters
- March 5 Annual ROM Banquet and meeting, Holyoke, MA
- March 18 & 19 Rescue Show, Silver City Canine Training Center - Taunton, MA Brenda Dean
- March 25 & 26 LEAP ASCA/NADAC Agility Mt. Holyoke Equestrian Center South Hadley, MA Sally King co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- April 8 & 9 Maplewood Assistance Partners ASCA/NADAC Agility (Katrin Andberg) Wrentham, MA
- April 22 (rain date April 23) Intro to Herding Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
- April 29 & 30 Jim Hartnagle Stock Clinic Webster, NH Matt Mason
- May 27 & 28 ASCA Agility trial, Contoocook, NH Jean Janotta
- June 1-4 Bob Vest Sheep Clinic Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
- June 10 & 11 Breed and Obedience, Auburn, MA Keli Gaunt
- June 10 & 11 Bob Vest Cattle Clinic Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
- June 18 Stock Trial Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
- July 9 meeting at Sue Winters home, Norton, MA
- July 28, 29, 30 Moose-a-Mania, Skowhegan, ME Clara Grover
- August 12 & 13 Stock Trial Webster, NH Matt Mason
- August 20 C.A. Sharpe Seminar Westport, MA Linda Gray
- September 10 meeting at the Griffins home, Douglas, MA
- September 16 23 ASCA Nationals, West Bend, Wisconsin
- October 8 Tracking Test Celeste Kelly
- October 13, 14, & 15 Harvest Moon Mania, Westfield, MA Peter Kontos
- November 5 meeting at Dr Matt Mason's, Salisbury, NH
- November 11 & 12 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Fran Swanson
ASCNE 2007 TENTATIVE Calendar of Events