Minutes from the January 8,
2006 meeting held at Canine Mastery in Seekonk, MA.
Members Present: Jean Janotta, Dottie Duclos,
Pete Dolan, Diane Johnson, Gull Reidy, Brenda Dean, Keli Gaunt, Kathie
Chouinard, Robin Goodman, George Griffin, JoAnn Griffin, Karen Miller, Sheila
Dolan, Donna Killam, Bill Haggis, Cindy Booth, Donna Johnson, Sharon Ruppel,
Donna Hakala, Loretta King, Jackie Owens, Dianne McCormick, Gale Templeton, Ann
Chace, Kathy Buckley, Kathleen St. Charles, Stevens Parr, Sharon Parr, John
Andrade, Lisa Andrade, Susan Winters
Secretary's Report Diane Johnson
- Acceptance of the minutes from the November 6,
2005 meeting at Dr. Matt Mason'sis delayed until the next meeting as the
newsletter was late and members did not have a chance to read them.
Treasurer's Report Dottie Duclos
- ASCNE Treasury - $ 32,196.62 including Rescue
Treasury of $2,740.54
- Moose-a-Mania more pre-entry checks were found
bringing gross receipts to $5001; expenses - $2912.96; profit $
- Georgia pre-National Agility October 23rd
gross receipts $11513; expenses $6725.51; profit $4787.49
- Georgia pre-National Conformation October 24th
gross receipts $ 8027; expenses $6075.51; profit $1951.49
Affiliate Report - Sharon Ruppell
- It is time to fill out the renewal form.
- Sharon had heard nothing for awhile so she went
on-line and reported that a new Office Manager, Jean Miller, was hired on
16SEP05 and two other staff members have been hired.
ASCA Board of Directors Report - Linda Gray
and/or Chris Davenport:
- representative not present
- In response to a general email Jean sent, Linda
Gray reported the BoD has been on vacation and all information could be found
on the ASCA website.
- Agility - Dianne McCormick reported any qualifying
leg from the proficient or skilled level in NADAC Regular, Jumpers, and
Wildcard will count towards ASCA qualifying runs. The NADAC wildcard class
will count towards ASCA gamblers legs.
- Bylaws - Linda Gray - representative not
- Conformation - Peter Kontos/Chris Davenport -
representative not present.
- DNA & Genetics - Linda Gray - representative
- Juniors - Cindy King - representative not
- Obedience - Mary Ann Stoddart - representative not
present. Mary Ann sent an email stating the Obedience Committee is
reorganizing after a lot of members resigned. Pete Dolan added the chair, ASCA
BoD liaison, and 3 other members resigned as the committee chair was unable to
be designated the ASCA representative in dealings with Bud Kramer for the
Rally-O program. ASCA indicated these members could not represent ASCA since
they had not been duly elected.
- Stockdog - Bill Pechka-King - representative not
- Tracking - Celeste Kelly, Linda Gray, Sue
Schroeder - representative not present. Jean indicated there is a lot of
activity in the motions section of the ASCA website for tracking.
- Versatility - no representative from the
Library Report - Cindy King
- representative not present.
- Sue Winters has some old National Stockdog magazines to donate to the
Sunshine Report - Jean Janotta
- Pauli Haggis is doing very well.
- Winter Warm Up - February 4 & 5, Seekonk, MA - Sue Winters still needs
obedience and breed stewards. Sharon Ruppel has volunteered to do the food.
- Rescue Show - March 17 - 19, Taunton, MA - Brenda Dean is in the process
of getting a breed judge for Saturday. She indicated the rescue donations are
slow and asked members to please try to donate something for the Chinese
Auction. If you can't get your donations for the Chinese Auction to the show
then Brenda will take them at the ROM banquet. The obedience entry limit for
Sunday is per the judges request. Brenda noted some of the local hotels are
allowing dogs on the grounds but not in the rooms, others will not even allow
dogs on the grounds. Please check with the hotel for their dog policy.
- John and Lisa Andrade were accepted as
ASCNE Election Year
2007 ASCA Nationals Pete Dolan
- The 2007 ASCA Nationals will be in Augusta, New
Jersey on September 29 - October 6, 2007. A Yahoo Group (Aussies07Natls )
has been set up for all those interested. There are 2 databases - one with a
list of key positions and the chairpersons. The second list is for posting
your areas of interest for volunteering.
- Pete Dolan passed around an aerial view of the
fairgrounds as well as the two database lists.
- The theme of the 2007 Nationals is Golden
Jubilee, 50th Anniversary of ASCA. There was discussion as to the logo. Keli
Gaunt will send a notice to the affiliate reps and affiliate club presidents
that logo ideas are being solicited from all ASCA members.
- A motion was made and seconded that the profit
from the two pre-shows in Georgia be used as seed money for the 2007
Nationals. Jean is working on a budget and a base agreement of all the clubs
involved in hosting the 2007 Nationals. A rough budget of $175, 000 to
$180,000 is expected.
- So far, the hosting clubs are ASCNE, GAASC, and
- Tentative pre-trials - Working Aussies of
Virginia stock; Blue Ridge ASC breed & obedience; GAASC breed
& obedience; Rock River ASC - agility
- An in-depth premium must be presented to ASCA by
this year's Nationals.
2006 Calendar Updates
- March 17 thru 19 - the Rescue Show has
conformation on Friday night this year
- March 25 & 26 - ASCNE is co-sanctioning the
LEAP ASCA/NADAC Agility trial - Mt. Holyoke Equestrian Center - South
Hadley, MA - Sally King
- April 1 - Tracking Clinic - Dover, NH - Celeste
Kelly being rescheduled due to loss of facility
- April TBD - Tracking Test - Celeste Kelly per
Celeste, April is too early for the test; looking for another place and
date, but the spring test may not happen this year
- April 8 & 9 - ASCNE is co-sanctioning the
Maplewood Assistance Partners ASCA / NADAC Agility trial - Crackerbarrel
Field - Wrentham, MA - Katrin Andberg
- April 20 thru 22 - Jan Wesen Stock Clinic -
Pauline, NY - Georgean Herzwig (this is not an ASCNE event)
- April 29 & 30 - Jim Hartnagle Stock Clinic -
Webster, NH - Matt Mason. Contact Matt ASAP if you are interested in a
working spot, there is limited room left. $25 for auditing will include
lunch, the price of a working spot has not been determined but it will be in
the $160-$200 range
- June 1 thru 4 - Bob Vest Sheep Clinic - Lebanon,
CT - Tenley Dexter
- June 6 thru 9 - Bob Vest Clinic - NH
- June 10 & 11 - Bob Vest Cattle Clinic -
Lebanon, CT - Tenley Dexter
- June 10 & 11 - Colors of Summer, Auburn, MA
- Keli Gaunt - dates have changed. There are 2 Breeder Judges and 2
"regular" conformation judges. two breed and one obedience show each
- June 18 Stock Trial Lebanon, CT Tenley
- July 28 thru 30 - Moose-a-Mania, Skowhegan, ME -
- August 20 - C.A. Sharp Seminar, Rhode Island -
Membership Applications - Kathie Chouinard
||Sponsors: Dianne McCormick &
||Sponsors: Janet Benson &
Sponsors: W. Stevens Parr & Sharon Parr
2006 Show Coordinators
- Jean thanked Cindy King for her contribution as
the stock coordinator for at least the last 4 years and more. Pete Dolan
expressed an interest in this position last fall to learn the ropes. The BoD
felt it would be a good thingfor the Club to have more than
one member educated in what it takes to be a Stock Coordinator.
- No one else has volunteered to do Breed,
Obedience or Tracking so Sue Winters will continue.
- And Diane McCormick will continue to do
- Mary Ann Stoddard started the club website 12+
years ago on the UMass server. Pete Dolan proposed that now might be a good
time to move it off the UMass server to the same server on which the 2007
Nationals website will be hosted. Mary Ann agreed moving it to a more robust
server might allow the club the ability to take advantage of several more
kinds of web services that the UMAss server will not open up to the general
public - services such as a Calendar set up similar to the one Frank Butera
set up for ASCA that would allow members to post their own dates, flyers and
updates would really be nice. Jean read an email from Mary Ann stating that
the timing may also be right with the move to the new server for someone
else to take over as webmaster.
- It was asked if we could pay a webmaster, but
the cost seems to be high, although shopping around can bring down the
- A general job description of webmaster will be
included in the newsletter and all interested parties may contact Pete
Dolan. Karen Thurlow will help the new webmaster but she can not take on the
- New Disaster response guidelines are available
from JoAnn Griffin. Should anyone wish to respond in a disaster, they will
have to fill out these forms and take (at least) two basic courses that the
State of Mass is requiring. Other states will likely begin to require these
two national courses as well. JoAnn has volunteer applications to join the
Mass State Team and the local Central Mass group if anyone is
- There were 32 dogs impounded in Vermont. Of
these, 15 are Aussies or Aussie-mix. As of now the judge has not given
custody to the local humane society, so they are finding foster homes for as
many as they can while some are still at the shelter for medical needs. ARPH
is not involved as custody has not been decided.
- There has been discussion of appropriate
contents for posts to ASCNE-L. General opinion of all present was that
ASCNE-L was an open list for discussion among ASCNE club members. Content
was not an issue and the description of the list purpose was acceptable as
Breeder Referral List
- Sue Winters has copies of the Breeder Referral
- Diane Johnson received a thank you note from
Noah's Wish for the $500 ASCNE sent for help after Hurricane Katrina.
- Susan Winters has T-shirts from the 2005 ASCNE
Pre-nationals. These are available for $20.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:15pm.
The next meeting will be the ROM Banquet, March 5,
2006 at the Log Cabin Restaurant in Holyoke, MA.
Gull Reidy, Secretary
ASCNE 2006 Calendar of Events
January 8 Meeting at Canine Mastery, Seekonk, MA
February 4 & 5 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Sue
March 5 Annual ROM Banquet and meeting, Holyoke, MA
March 4 & 5 GSASA Breed (4th) and Obedience
(5th) Flanders, NJ Laurie Shuren
March 17, 18 & 19 Rescue Show, Silver City Canine Training
Center - Taunton, MA Brenda Dean
March 25 & 26 LEAP ASCA/NADAC Agility Mt. Holyoke
Equestrian Center South Hadley, MA Sally King co-sanctioned by
April 8 & 9 Maplewood Assistance Partners ASCA/NADAC
Agility (Katrin Andberg) Wrentham, MA co-sanctioned by ASCNE
April 22 (rain date April 23) Intro to Herding Lebanon, CT
April 29 & 30 Jim Hartnagle Stock Clinic Webster, NH
May 27 & 28 ASCA Agility trial, Contoocook, NH Jean
June 1-4 Bob Vest Sheep Clinic Lebanon, CT Tenley
June 10 & 11 Breed and Obedience, Auburn, MA Keli
June 10 & 11 Bob Vest Cattle Clinic Lebanon, CT Tenley
June 18 Stock Trial Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
July 9 meeting at Sue Winters home, Norton, MA
July 28, 29, 30 Moose-a-Mania, Skowhegan, ME Clara
August 12 & 13 Stock Trial Webster, NH Matt
August 20 C.A. Sharp Seminar Providence, RI area Linda
September 10 meeting at the Griffins home, Douglas, MA
September 16 23 ASCA Nationals, West Bend, Wisconsin
October 13, 14, & 15 Harvest Moon Mania, Westfield, MA
October TBD Tracking Test Celeste Kelly
November 5 meeting location TBD
November 11 & 12 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Fran