Minutes from the November 6, 2005 meeting held at Dr. Matt Mason's in Salisbury, NH.
Members Present: Jean Janotta, Dottie Duclos, Pete Dolan, Diane Johnson, Kate Viles, Amanda Bushie, Pam Parker, Dianne Barrett, Barbara Barreiro, Nini Bloch, Gull Reidy, Brenda Dean, Mike Sheehan, Kathie Chouinard, Andy Johnson, Robin Goodman, Deb Adamczyk, Joe Adamczyk, Terry Andrews, Cindy King, Holly McLure, William L. Pechka-King, Cathy Bakke, Lyn Scribner, Matt Mason, Linda Gray. Guest present: Toby Grant, Donna Hudkins, Art Landry, Carol Landry, Jan Marcotte.
The meeting was called to order at 12:15pm by President Jean Janotta after lunch and a morning of working sheep and ducks.
- Secretary's Report Diane Johnson
- Minutes from the September 11, 2005 meeting at Joe and Deb Adamczyk's were accepted as printed in the New England Aussie Newsletter.
ASCNE Treasury - $33,910.05
Rescue Treasury - $2,740.54
Harvest Moon Mania brought in $30,038.00 with expenses of $28,583.62 (possibly more expenses to arrive) for a profit of $1,454.38 at this date.
Tracking Test October 9th brought in $200.00 with expenses of $549.58 for a loss of $349.58 (loss off set by profit from the April tracking clinic).
Georgia pre-National Agility October 23rd. - final figures are not available yet.
Georgia pre-National Conformation October 24th final figures were not available yet.
- Treasurer's Report Dottie Duclos
representative not present
- Affiliate Report - Sharon Ruppell
Linda Gray reported that the ASCA BoD has awarded the 2007 Nationals to New England and the 2008 Nationals to Las Vegas, NV.
Agility - Pete Dolan reported that ASCA/NADAC dual sanctioning will end as of May 31, 2006. ASCA agility trials are open to all breeds of dogs, with the exception of the Nationals. The committee is working on a judging program and rules for crediting NADAC qualifying legs to ASCA classes for 01JAN06 thru 31MAY06.
Bylaws - Linda Gray reported that there is little going on at this time.
Conformation - Peter Kontos/Chris Davenport: no representative present. It was reported from the National General Meeting that Liz Gibson (conformation chair) is looking for feedback on the Conformation Invitational, which is looking like the pre-cursor to Conformation Finals.
DNA & Genetics - Linda Gray reported that the DNA testing is up to date. If individual results have not been received, e-mail Linda with the dogs name and other pertinent information. Therion gave a presentation at the National Meeting in Georgia. Linda suggested that when sending a sample, send it "delivery confirmation". She also spoke about whole blood being the best sample and that there was currently about a three week turn around time on tests. Therion will be putting together an estimate for processing DNA sent in on brushes.
Juniors - Cindy King reported that there was not much going on since the last meeting.
Obedience - Mary Ann Stoddart: no representative present. It was reported from the National General Membership meeting that the committee is working on an ASCA Rally program.
Stockdog - Bill Peckha-King reported that little had happened since the last meeting with one exception, either ducks or geese can be used in a trial, but the two can not be mixed, this will start in 2006. In addition, the Working Description subcommittee is still looking for feedback by 01JAN06 on the Working Description that was published in the Aussie Times.
Tracking - Celeste Kelly, Linda Gray, Sue Schroeder: Linda Gray reported that nothing much had happened since the last meeting.
Versatility - no representative present.
- ASCA Board of Directors Report - Linda Gray and/or Chris Davenport:
- Library Report: Cindy King
- The library was available if any one needed to take out or return a book.
- Sunshine Report - Jean Janotta
- Pauli Haggis had surgery just prior to the Nationals and is doing very well.
- Event Updates:
- Harvest Moon Mania September 23, 24 & 25, Westfield, MA - Peter Kontos was not present for the meeting but it was reported that the event went well and made money. HMM will revert to the traditional October dates in 2006.
- ASCA Nationals, October 22 - 29, Georgia - New England was very well represented at the Nationals and NE dogs brought home numerous titles in all the venues.
- Agility Pre-show by ASCNE, October 23, Georgia - ASCNE put on a great show, well attended and the ribbons looked wonderful hanging along the tent supports. One of the things that drew particular attention and comments was the Retired Dog Exhibition Class. Many people had not seen a class like this and Robin Goodman brought many to tears with her commentary during the class. Numerous people said they would like to start something similar in their clubs. The Retired Exhibition Class is always a great tribute to great dogs.
- Conformation Pre-show by ASCNE, October 24, Georgia - Pam Parker reported that the show went well and finished earlier than any other. Many people commented on the trophy table as looking the best of any at the show with the gifts and ribbons.
Pete Dolan reported that ASCA's Golden Jubilee will be held in Augusta, New Jersey. ASCNE will host this event along with the involvement of several other clubs. GSASA and the Blueridge clubs have indicated interest in pre-National confirmation shows and Blue Ridge Working Club has expressed interest in hosting a pre-National stockdog trial.
The dates are September 29 thru October 6, 2007.
There are a total of 54 people on the Aussies07Natls yahoo group. If youre interested in joining the fun to put the event on, you can go out to yahoo.com and join the group.
There was discussion concerning whether this trial should be the first ASCA only trial or the last dual sanctioned trial. Robin Goodwin made a motion to make it an ASCA only trial, the motion was seconded by Pam Parker and passed.
- New Members:
- There were no new applications for membership in September.
The Nominating Committee presented the following slate of candidates
- ASCNE Election Year - Candidate Slate:
Other candidates who have consented to nomination must be submitted to the Nominating Committee no later than 15NOV05
January 8 Meeting - Canine Mastery, Seekonk, MA
February 4 & 5 Conformation and Obedience Trial Canine Mastery Seekonk, MA Sue Winters
March 17, 18, 19 - Rescue Show at Silver City Canine Training Center Taunton, MA Brenda Dean
- President - Jean Janotta
- Vice President - Pete Dolan
- Treasurer - Dottie Duclos
- Secretary - Gull Reidy
- Affiliate Rep. - Sheila Dolan
- BoD - Kelli Gaunt
- BoD - Brenda Dean
August 12 & 13 Stockdog Trial Webster, NH Matt Mason
- Sheila Dolan will run the Rescue Raffle
- A motion was made and passed to donated all monies from the Raffle and one-half of the profit to ARPH and the other half of the profit to ASGHI.
- Joann Laughlin has donated use of her facility for Friday.
- There will be pre-entry package savings deals available.
- The Sunday schedule will be breed first, followed by obedience.
- The dates have been added to the 2006 calendar
- Membership Applications - Kathie Chouinard
John & Lisa Andrade Brenda Dean
10 Cortland Place Dottie Duclos
Taunton, MA 02780
ASCA # 207108
- 2007 Harvest Moon Mania
- It was decided that ASCNE will not host HMM either in October or in conjunction with the ASCA Nationals due to the club commitment and involvement with the ASCA Golden Jubilee Nationals in NJ.
One of the photographers at the Nationals put together a collage of the entrants in the Retired Exhibition Class. Pete Dolan made a motion that the club pay for this collage to be placed in the Aussie Times, the motion was seconded by Robin Goodman and passed.
- Retired Agility Exhibition Collage to the Aussie Times
Cindy King said Hofflin will offer a 10% discount on books and will charge actual cost for shipping if shipped to one address. Books included are current and past Aussie Annuals (normally $40) and the Best of the Australian Shepherd Quarterly. A minimum order of 20 total books is required. Anyone interested should contact Cindy King between now and the January meeting or there abouts as the order will be placed approximately two weeks after the meeting. The books will be shipped to Cindy and will be distributed in March at the ROM banquet.
- Hofflin Publications Discount - Cindy King
The meeting was adjourned at 1:45pm.
The next meeting will be January 8 2006 at Canine Mastery in Seekonk, MA.
Diane Johnson, Secretary
ASCNE 2006 Calendar of Events
- January 8 Meeting at Canine Mastery, Seekonk, MA
- February 4 & 5 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Sue Winters
- March 5 Annual ROM Banquet and meeting, Holyoke, MA MaryAnn and Joe Stoddart
- March 17, 18 & 19 Rescue Show, Taunton, MA Brenda Dean
- April 1 Tracking Clinic Dover, NH Celeste Kelly
- April TBD Tracking Test Celeste Kelly
- April TBD Intro to Herding Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
- May 27 & 28 ASCA Agility trial, Contoocook, NH Jean Janotta
- June TBD Bob Vest Sheep and Cattle Clinics Lebanon, CT Tenley Dexter
- June 3 & 4 Breed and Obedience, Auburn, MA Kelli Gaunt
- July 9 meeting at Sue Winters home, Norton, MA
- August 5 & 6 Moose-a-Mania, Skowhegan, ME Clara Grover
- August 12 & 13 Stock Trial Webster, NH Matt Mason
- August 20 C.A. Sharpe Seminar Providence, RI area Linda Gray
- September 10 meeting at the Griffins home, Douglas, MA
- October 13, 14, & 15 Harvest Moon Mania, Westfield, MA Peter Kontos
- October TBD Tracking Test
- November 5 meeting location TBD
- November 11 & 12 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Fran Swanson