Minutes from the July 10, 2005
meeting at JoAnn and Grif Griffins home in Douglas, MA.
Members Present: Gull Reidy,
Kathleen St. Charles, Kathie Chouinard, Brenda Dean, Mary Ann Stoddart,
Joe Stoddart, Dottie Duclos, Paula Andrus, Susan Winters, Dianne
Barrett, Paulie Haggis, Bill Haggis, JoAnn Griffin, George Griffin,
Jean Janotta, Diane Johnson.
Meeting called to order by President Jean Janotta at 12:40 p.m.
- Introduction of those present.
- Secretarys Report Diane Johnson
- Secretary's report from the March
2005 meeting were accepted as presented in the New England Aussie
- Treasurer's report Dottie Duclos
- ASCNE Treasury - $18,808.17
- Rescue Treasury - $4,990.00
- Total Treasury - $23,798.17.
- February Agility Seminar in W.
Brookfield, MA gross receipts $3,757.50; expenses - $4,297.13; loss -
- April tracking clinic and test in
NH gross receipts $920.00; expenses - $600.66; profit - $319.34;
Judge Susan Schroeder waived $128.00 of her travel to go towards a
police dog safety vest.
- March 26 & 27 Breed &
Obedience Rescue show in Hamden, CT gross receipts $3,974.00;
expenses $1,661.30; profit $2,312.70 (great job folks!). There are also
checks made out directly to ARPH in the amount of $395.
- April 23 Intro to Herding in
Lebanon, CT gross receipts $720.00; expenses $717.02; profit $2.98.
- May 28 Try Stock-n-go in Hopkinton,
NH gross receipts $460.00; expenses $300.00; profit $160.00 to be
donated to a scholarship fund.
- May 28 & 29 Agility Trial
gross receipts $13,284.00; expenses $11,438.58; profit $1,845.42.
- June 4 & 5 Breed &
Obedience in Auburn, MA gross receipts $5,188.00; expenses $4,099.85;
profit $1,088.15 (great job!).
- June Bob Vest clinics in Lebanon,
CT gross receipts $5,700.00; expenses $5,234.83; profit $465.17.
- June 12 Stock Trial in Lebanon, CT
gross receipts $1,235.00; expenses $1,173.84; profit $61.16.
- Affiliate Report Sharon Ruppel
- Sharon was not present, but it was
mentioned that Linda Gray was helping in the ASCA office in Texas.
- BoD Report - representative not
- Committee Reports
- Agility: Pete Dolan was not present
but Jean Janotta reported that an Agility Enthusiasts list has been
started for anyone interested/involved in ASCA Agility. In addition, a
motion by the ASCA BoD will be increasing the agility membership fees
for each event as of September 1, 2005. The motion called for the fee
to be changed from $.50 per dog per day to $.50 per ASCA titling run
(regardless of whether the dog has an ASCA registration or tracking
number). This change increases the fees paid by a little over 2 ½ times
what is currently being paid.
- Bylaw: no representative present.
- Conformation: no representative
- DNA & Genetics: no
- There was discussion regarding
the identification of the gene in dogs that makes them sensitive to
ivermectin and other drugs. Dogs can now be tested for this sensitivity.
- Juniors: no representative present.
- Obedience: no representative
- Stockdog: no representative present.
- Tracking: no representative present.
- Versatility: no representative
- Library Report - Cindy King
- The library was not available as
Cindy King was not present.
- Sunshine Report - Jean Janotta
- Event Updates: Please check the
web site: http://www.unix.oit.umass.edu/~ascne for additional
information on events
- July 29, 30 & 31 -
Moose-a-Mania in Skowhegan, ME: Susan Winters reported for Clara Glover
that everything for the show is in place and should be very good.
- August 6 & 7, Stockdog Trial in
Webster, NH. Jean Janotta reported for Matt Mason that the trial was
about half full at this point.
- September 11, meeting at the
Adamczyk home in Warren, MA.
- September 23, 24 & 25, Harvest
Moon Mania: Peter Kontos was not present but Jean Janotta reported that
the obedience judges were still to be secured and the opening postmark
date is targeted for August 3 (NOTE: Subsequent to the meeting, the HMM
opening postmark date was changed to August 10.)
- October 23, Agility Pre-National
show by ASCNE in Georgia. Jean reported that the pre-show had a July
first opening date and was only about half full at this point. Susan
Winters is looking for worker raffle items.
- October 24, Conformation
Pre-National show by ASCNE in Georgia. Peter Kontos was not present to
report. Susan Winters showed the emblem to be used for ASCNE and would
like to know who will be going to Georgia and what they can do to help
with the pre-show.
- November 6 ASCNE Meeting in NH:
This meeting will be moving from Jean Janotta's home to Matt Mason's
farm in Salisbury, NH. There will be stock work before and after the
- New Members The following
have been accepted for membership: Morgan Hubbard, Joanne Mason, Amanda
Bushee, Corinne Cross and Lori-Jean Davis-Sirles.
- New England ASCA Nationals
- Pete Dolan was not available, but
Jean Janotta reported that the Sussex Fairground in NJ has been secured
and that stock is still an issue but its being worked on. There is
nothing more to report until the ASCA BoD awards the location during
the 2005 Nationals.
- Membership applications - Kathie
Merry Wellls ----Tenley
Dexter Linc Keiser
- 2005 ASCA Elections
- BOD Candidates The attending
membership voted for Pete Dolan, Ann DeChant, and Jan Wesen
- Hardship Registry The attending
membership voted to close the hardship registry.
- Donation to Working Dog Foundation
- Celeste Kelly had brought up the
idea to donate the tracking profits to the Working Dog Foundation. The
Foundation was incorporated as a 501-C:3 non-profit organization to
support and enhance New Hampshire Police K-9 Teams. Have obtained 25+
vests for K-9s in New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts. Bulletproof
vests for the K-9's must be individually tailored for safety, comfort
and fit. Each vest costs $450.
- For ASCNE membership states not
covered by the Working Dog Foundation, it was suggested those states
could be individually contacted to determine what their needs might be.
Joe Stoddart suggested some departments are looking for K-9 cool vests.
- Change in ASCA Agility Membership
Fees Jean Janotta
- Jean discussed the impact that this
change will have on partnering clubs. The change involves going from
fees of $0.50 per dog per day to $0.50 per ASCA titling run per dog to
become effective September 1, 2005. Questions raised included:
- How to approach and communicate
this information to clubs that have already agreed to co-sanction
trials this year based on the old fee structure?
- Should ASCNE offer to defray the
entire/partial increase in the fees for clubs that have already
committed to a trial this year?
- What, if anything, should/could
ASCNE do next year in order to retain our co-sanctioning partner clubs?
- Jean will write something up for
the newsletter so this can be discussed in more detail at the next
- ASCNE Election Candidate Committee
- Jean is looking for volunteers for
this committee. The committee is made up of three members, one of whom
must be a Board member. Please let Jean know if you are interested in
- Donations to ASCA Finals
- The following was discussed and
approved: $500 to the Stockdog Finals for expenses; $125 to the Agility
Finals; $125 to the Obedience Finals
- 2006 Tentative Calendar
- Please note these dates are all
still tentative and need to be reviewed
- January 8 Meeting at Canine
Mastery, Seekonk, MA
- February 4 & 5 Breed and
Obedience, Seekonk, MA
- March 5 Annual ROM Banquet and
meeting, Holyoke, MA
- March 18 & 19 Rescue Show,
Taunton, MA Brenda is considering including a show on Friday night as
- April 1 Tracking Clinic Dover,
- April TBD Tracking Test
- April TBD Intro to Herding
- May 27 & 28 ASCA/NADAC
Agility trial, Contoocook, NH
- June TBD Bob Vest Sheep and
Cattle Clinics Lebanon, CT
- June 3 & 4 Breed and
Obedience, Auburn, MA
- July 9 meeting at Sue Winters
home, Norton, MA
- August 5 & 6 Moose-a-Mania,
- August 20 C.A. Sharpe Seminar
Providence, RI area
- September 10 meeting at the
Griffins home, Douglas, MA
- October 13, 14, & 15 Harvest
Moon Mania, Westfield, MA
- November 5 meeting location TBD
- November 11 & 12 Breed and
Obedience, Seekonk, MA
- Printing Services
- Brenda Deans daughter-in-law has
been printing the newsletters and premiums for us.
- Brenda reported we will need to
look for new services around the November timeframe as her
daughter-in-law is pregnant and will be out of work for a while.
- Insurance Renewal Dottie Duclos
- Dottie reported the ASCNE insurance
renewal premium of $540 is due.
- It was agreed to continue to carry
The meeting adjourned at 3:15 pm.
Next meeting will be September 11, 2005 at the Adamczyk home in
Respectfully submitted, Diane Johnson
ASCNE 2005 Calendar of
- July 15 newsletter cutoff date
- July 29, 30 & 31 Moose-a-Mania, Skowhegan, ME Clara Grover
- August 6 & 7 Stockdog Trial Webster, NH Matt Mason
- September 3, 4, & 5 GSASA Agility
- September 11 meeting at the Adamczyk's home, Warren, MA
- September 15 newsletter cutoff date
- September 23, 24 & 25 Harvest Moon Mania, Westfield, MA
- October 8 GSASA Breed & Obedience
- October 9 ASCNE Tracking Test
- October 15 & 16 - ActUp Agility Trial Wrentham, MA - ASCA
co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- October 22 & 23 SCAT Agility Trial Southington, CT ASCA
co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- October 22 - 29 ASCA Nationals, Georgia
- October 23 Agility Pre-show by ASCNE, Georgia Jean Janotta
- October 24 Conformation Pre-show by ASCNE, Georgia Peter
- November 6 meeting at Matt Mason's farm in Salisbury, NH
- November 12 & 13 - ACE Agility Trial South Hadley, MA -
ASCA co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- November 15 newsletter cutoff date