Minutes from the January 2, 2005
meeting at Canine Mastery in Seekonk, MA.
Members Present: Jean Janotta,
Dottie Duclos, Sharon Ruppel, Diane Johnson, Pete Dolan, Kathie
Chouinard, Paula Andrus, Linda Gray, Pauli Haggis, Bill Haggis, Cindy
King, William L. Pechka-King, Jackie Owens, Gull Reidy, Dianne Barrett,
Donald R. Johnson, Donna Johnson, Brenda Dean, Heather Robinson, Rita
McDonald, Susan Winters, Sheila Dolan, Matt Mason, Loretta King, Donna
Hakala, Tina Walsh-Spivey, John Spivey, Ethan Spivey and guests Joanne
Gray, Cindy Booth.
Meeting called to order 12:00pm by President Jean Janotta.
- Introduction of those present.
- Secretarys Report Diane Johnson
- Secretary's report from the
November 2004 meeting was accepted as published in newsletter.
- Treasurer's report Dottie Duclos
- ASCNE Treasury - $23,312
- Rescue Treasury - $4,990
- November 13 & 14 Breed &
Obedience in Seekonk, MA gross receipts - $2,018.00; expenses -
$1,726; profit - $292
- Affiliate Report Sharon Ruppel
- ASCA is changing to Therion
International for DNA Testing.
- BoD Report - Linda Gray
- The new DNA testing lab is Therion
International. The test can be a cheek swab, blood drawn in a tube, or
blood cards. The blood cards need ten drops of blood and can be sent by
regular mail. Cheek swabs can be done only once. If there is not enough
DNA from the cheek swab, blood will need to be sent and there will be a
full charge for the additional blood test. Therion anticipates being
caught up with the backlog by the end of January 2005.
- Committee Reports
- Agility: Pete Dolan reported that
the agility rule book was rewritten last year. Discussions are
occurring on the following: the appropriateness of the current
automatic invite of ATCHs to the Agility Finals; creation of a Junior
Handler division for Gamblers in 2005; and submission of electronic
results for agility and questions about whether the software might
currently be capable to do this but no one has the knowledge of how to
- Bylaw: Linda Gray stated the bylaw
changes were printed in the Aussie Times and ASCA is waiting for
comments to come back from the membership.
- Conformation: Linda Gray reported
that there is a new chair for this committee, Liz Smith. There is a
discussion amongst the committee to charge lower entry fees for altered
classes to increase the participation. Discussion at this meeting
centered around the effort put forth to make the altered program
equivalent to the championship, and how this would now give it a lower
- Dispute: no representative present.
- DNA & Genetics: Linda Gray
discussed the lab change, etc. mentioned above.
- Juniors: Cindy King reported that
there is a new chair, Claire Augustisan. There was also a discussion
about whether juniors should have to qualify for the Nationals
(currently the requirement is that theyve shown at the Open level
sometime during the qualifying year) or is their presence and interest
at the Nationals enough.
- Stockdog: Bill King reported that
there are rule book changes coming, particularly concerning
clarification around the junior program.
- Tracking: Linda Gray reported that
Sue Schroeder has joined the committee.
- Versatility: no report.
- Library Report - Cindy King
- The library was available in the
vehicle if anyone needed a book or books. Cindy is hoping to have DVD
& VHS tapes available in the future.
- Sunshine Report:
- There was nothing to report at this
- Event Updates:
- Please check the web site:
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ascne for additional information on
- February 5 & 6, Breed &
Obedience in Seekonk, MA: Sue Winters reported that they are working on
sanctioning, there is also a need for course stewards and someone to
take over the workers' & judges' food.
- February 18-21 Barb Demascio
Agility Seminar in West Brookfield, MA: Lyn Scribner is handling this
event and there are still lots of openings.
- March 6, Annual ROM Banquet &
Meeting in Holyoke, MA: MaryAnn reported to Jean that everything is
lining up well. Flyer will be posted to the website soon.
- March 26 & 27 Rescue Show -
Breed & Obedience, Paws 'N Effect in Hamden, CT: Brenda Dean
reported that things are moving along. $220 has been received to date
towards trophy purchases. Items for the raffle on Sunday are always
- April 2 Tracking Clinic at the
Strafford County Court House in Dover, NH: Celeste Kelly will be
organizing this event.
- April 10 Tracking Test in Stratham,
NH: Celeste Kelly will be organizing this event.
- July 29, - 31 Moose-a-Mania in
Skowhegan, ME: contract has gone out to secure the location.
- New Members The following
have been accepted for membership: Kathleen Buckley, Lorraine E.
Wentworth and Dianne Barrett
- 2005 Calendar
- Please check the web site:
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ascne for additional information.
- April 23 (rain day April 24) -
Intro to Herding Fun Day - Tenley Dexter, CT
- June 2, 3, 4, 5 - Bob Vest Sheep
Clinic in CT
- June 6, 7, 8, 9 - Bob Vest Sheep
Clinic in NH
- June 11 & 12 - Bob Vest Cattle
Clinic in CT
- June 19 - Stock Trial in CT
- August 6 & 7 - Stockdog Trial
in Webster, NH - Matt Mason. Trial will consist of ducks, sheep &
cattle with Maarten Walter as judge.
- November Breed & Obedience:
Fran Swanson suggested taking this show off the 2005 calendar because
of its proximity to the National dates.
- 2005 ASCA National Pre-show Update
- The contracts have been mailed to
- Getting together after this meeting
to discuss details of trophies, ribbons, etc.
- New England ASCA Nationals
- Pete Dolan reported that the
biggest drawback has been and still is finding a suitable number and
quality of stock, cattle in particular.
- Membership applications- Kathie Chouinard
| Robert & Mary
| Cynthia Booth
- DNA Epilepsy Blood Draw Proposal -
Sheila Dolan & Sharon Parr
- University of Missouri is involved
in a dedicated research project to identify a marker gene for
idiopathic epilepsy in Aussies. As members of the fancy, we can help by
donating blood samples of affected dogs and their close relatives.
- At this years Nationals at Paso
Robles, AussieGENES (a branch of the Australian Shepherd Health &
Genetics Institute) sponsored a highly successful blood draw for the
University of Missouri. But since very few of us here in New England
were able to attend this years specialty, we would like to hold a
blood draw of our own to do our part for the success of this critical
- Proposed Place and Date: The home
of Terri Altergott (in Uxbridge, MA) on Sunday, February 27, with a
snow date of March 13.
- We already have roughly a dozen
potential donor dogs, and hope to reach as many as a dozen more whose
contributions could be valuable to this research project.
- THERE IS NO COST involved for the
owners of donor dogs
all we ask is that you appear and allow your dog
to donate blood.
- Cindy King made a motion for a
$200 donation by ASCNE for expenses, Linda Gray seconded the motion and
it was passed.
- Membership Meeting Frequency -
- Jean had asked for comments and or
suggestions to increase the attendance at the meetings and received
input from Celeste Kelly only.
- There was discussion concerning
reducing the number of meetings each year based on attendance. The
purpose of each of the meetings was talked about January-affiliate
renewal paperwork; July-begin setting next years calendar;
September-catchup; November-presentation of proposed officer slate ever
other year. It was decided to hold at the current number of five.
- Members present felt having
activities on the day of the meeting (prior to or after) might entice
members to attend. In addition holding meetings in alternate locations
- If youre interested in hosting a
meeting at your home or if theres a facility local to you that would
be relatively inexpensive or if youd like to organize an activity for
a meeting, please contact Jean.
- Request for Agility Trial
Co-Sanction - Jean Janotta
- Dianne McCormick received a request
from the Southern CT Agility Team to co-sanction their agility event on
June 11 & 12 in Southington, CT
- Motion made, seconded, and
- Request for Show Site Waiver -
- WASCUNY requested a waiver allowing
them to host a breed and obedience event in North Adams, MA on April 16
& 17, 2005.
- Motion was made, seconded, and
- GSASA 2005 Show Format Jean
- GSASA is trying a different format
this year they will be doing 2 conformation shows one day, then doing
2 obedience shows the other day.
- Achievements - Jean Janotta
- ASCA CH Arboretum's Winterberry -
- ASCA CH Timber - Kathy Hubbard
- Dasher & Ed Jakubowski second
place in US Disc Dog Nationals
- AKC CH Bluff Cap Spellcaster, owned
by Lorretta & John King, co-owned & bred by Nancy & Gil
The meeting was adjourned at 2:05 pm
Next meeting will be March 6, 2005 at the Log Cabin Restaurant in
Respectfully submitted, Diane Johnson
ASCNE 2005 Calendar of Events
- January 2 Meeting Canine Mastery, Seekonk, MA
- January 15 newsletter cutoff date
- February 5 & 6 Breed and Obedience, Seekonk, MA Sue
- February 18 - 21 Barb Demascio Agility Seminar, West
Brookfield, MA Lyn Scribner
- February 27 DNA Blood Draw Home of Terri Altergott in
Uxbridge, MA Sharon Parr (snow date March 13)
- March 6 Annual ROM Banquet and Meeting, Log Cabin Restaurant,
Holyoke, MA MaryAnn & Joe Stoddart
- March 12 (Breed-2 shows) & 13 (Obedience-2 shows) GSASA
- March 15 newsletter cutoff date
- March 19 & 20 LEAP Agility Trial So. Hadley, MA - ASCA
co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- March 26 & 27 Rescue Show Paws 'N Effect, Hamden, CT
- April 2nd Tracking Clinic Strafford, NH -
- April 10th Tracking Test Dover, NH Celeste
- April 16 & 17 SNEAK Agility Trial Brooklyn, CT - ASCA
co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- April 16 & 17 WASCUNY Breed & Obedience - North
- April 23 Intro to Herding Tenley Dexter (rain date April 24)
- May 15 newsletter cutoff date
- May 21 GSASA Breed & Obedience
- May 28 & 29 ASCA/NADAC Agility trial and Try Stock-n-Go,
- June 4 & 5 Breed and Obedience, Auburn, MA Keli Gaunt
- June 2-5 Bob Vest Sheep clinic in CT Tenley Dexter
- June 6-9 Bob Vest Sheep clinic in NH
- June 10-11 Bob Vest Cattle clinic in CT Tenley Dexter
- June 11-12 SCAT Agility Trial Southington, CT ASCA
co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- June 12 Stockdog trial CT Tenley Dexter
- June 18 & 19 SoBAD Agility Trial Granby, MA - ASCA
co-sanctioned by ASCNE
- July 10 meeting at the Griffin's home, Douglas, MA
- July 15 newsletter cutoff date
- July 29, 30 & 31 Moose-a-Mania, Skowhegan, ME Clara
- August 6 & 7 Stockdog Trial Webster, NH Matt Mason
- August or September Post Advanced or Ranch Trial CT
Tenley Dexter & Linc Keiser
- September 3, 4, & 5 GSASA Agility
- September 11 meeting at the Adamczyk's home, Warren, MA
- September 15 newsletter cutoff date
- September 23, 24 & 25 Harvest Moon Mania, Westfield, MA
- October 8 GSASA Breed & Obedience
- October 22 - 29 ASCA Nationals, Georgia
- October 23 Agility Pre-show by ASCNE, Georgia Jean Janotta
- October 24 Conformation Pre-show by ASCNE, Georgia Peter
- November 6 meeting at the Janotta home, Raymond, NH
- November 15 newsletter cutoff date